Thursday, December 20, 2007

#22: Audiobooks

Ya know, I was listening to audiobooks when they came on huge reel-to-reel tapes the size of a telephone-cable spool ....

.......okay that's a complete fabrication. But they were on tape.

And I just couldn't deal with it because I didn't know WHAT I was supposed to be doing with my eyes while I was listening. Plus I couldn't leave the room for fear I'd miss something...it's not the same as music. So I tried listening in the car, and on the bus with my bulky Sony Walkman,
but I found it unsatisfying. It seems to be something you either like, or you don't.

The good news for those in the "like 'em" camp is that audiobooks are more convenient than ever to use, and the option of downloading e-audiobooks from your library makes it a more economical option than ever: no gas or carfare to get to and from the library, and no overdue fees. Download the free player, and get the books you want. Or, at the moment, the books that are available. I was surprised to see graphic novels featured, but unfortunately none of those seem to have an excerpt provided. I wonder how they do that...There are excerpts provided for many of the titles, and that's a very good thing. Due to my personal disinclination, though, I found it difficult to sit in front of my computer and listen for even those two-minute excerpts, so even though I went through the process of placing a hold on a title (very easy) I doubt I'll download the reader and listen to it.

But, I've worked with audiobooks and I know how many and how devoted are their listeners.
Those people made the transition from spoken-word cassette to books on CD, and as soon as the
kinks are worked out of this inconvenient delivery system ("It won't work on my iPod? are you serious?") I think they'll grow in popularity.

No comments: