Tuesday, December 11, 2007

That's Not How I Roll



Okay, I hate to be like this, but again, this is not my idea of a killer app. I like that you can edit your searchroll after making it, naturally, so you can add sites you discover later. That's good.

The ads are a little intrusive, though, and the "celebrity searchrolls" don't inspire my confidence.

I can see a use for Rollyo, like that pointed out by Marion, who uses it to search multiple crafting sites at once, but I can't think of many cases in which I'd want to limit a search to "only sites I know" and there are other ways to limit searches to "sites I trust," like using Google to search only ".edu" sites for reliable content. There must be a good use for it...what am I missing? It does have a kickin' logo: simple, memorable, representational of its function, and it looks like candy!


I created a searchroll and was able to search all at once in many library blogs for instances where the new Amazon Kindle is mentioned, and word on Sirsi/Dynix/Horizon, and stuff like that. It's okay. I didn't see a way to link to my searchroll on the Rollyo site, but I added the searchroll as a page element, top left there, see?


I solemly vow to try my best to really really like the next Thing.

No comments: