Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Just not my "Thing": No.11

I know lots of people like LibraryThing. After exploring it a little bit and entering a few titles in my own list, my reaction to the whole thing is...meh. Seems harmless. Seems like the kind of thing Amazon would feature on their site, the way they encourage you to compile wishlists and track the gifts you've given people. "If you're looking at this book, you might like to know that people who bought this book also bought etc.etc." Okay. So I know that a bazillion other people liked or read or own The Golden Compass. Okay, maybe I'd like to know what else those people read. But, probably not. Thinking of something else to read is not a problem for me. So, in terms of a library application, I guess it's a way to show people asking for reader's advisory that they...don't have to ask a librarian? They can go to LibraryThing, type in some of their favorite books, and see what other people, who've read those books, also liked. Okay, fair enough; it's kind of like a Pandora for books? It's fine. It just doesn't have a lot of value for me. Anyway, here's my fledgling Thing.

No comments: