Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Is Tagging Del.icio.us? It's Downright Yummy!

The first thing that struck me after I successfully imported my Favorites to del.icio.us?

"Whoa!" I thought. "I have a lot of bookmarks."

I had to clean them up. That was work. Is work. Haven't really finished yet. Will make more public when I do. It'd be embarassing to put out dead links and stuff. It's good to clean house.
I will share many rare and wondrous things soon.

The only thing I don't like about del.icio.us is the appearance of one's bookmarks list; I like to see how many other people favorited the same sites I did, but who can read pale blue letters overlaid by pink highlighting? And who thought pale blue type in general a good idea? Gosh I have a lot of appearance issues with these sites, don't I? Anyway I'm fascinated to see how many sites I have that no one else, or only a few, have saved. (Oh, never mind, those are all QL Learning 2.0 blogs....)
The whole idea of tagging is to make things more accessible, and it puts me in mind of Hennepin County Library and Sanford Berman's Herculean efforts to revitalize and reform classification. That was something that got me excited over twenty years ago. At the same time, I loves me a good controlled vocabulary, so let's not get sloppy with tags. Remember my previous post about Technorati, (how could you forget?) when I was searching for movable books? There're so many ways to write the things you're looking for! Popupbooks, pop-up books, popup books, movables, on and on and on. I struggle with that. I don't want to tag every blog post here with "Library 2.0" but should I?

No comments: