Friday, December 14, 2007

Facebook, the Half-a-Thing

I took the tour of Facebook. Not very informative. I started the process of signing up, in fact I guess I did sign up, even though at first it rejected my qbpl email address. I didn't feel like providing my personal email yet, so I backed out of the signup. But I was captured anyway, it seems! With my name all backwards and my birthdate wrong but whaddaya gonna do? Any site that requires this much data entry is no friend of mine. I poked somebody, but ya know, I could have called faster and with more of a surprise element. And the poke contains no information, so of what interest is it to them, or me? If I text-message, there's some content; I don't type "poke!" (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
It seems like a time-consuming task to really work a Facebook account, and your friends would all have to participate, too. Even though it sounds reassuring to see that "only friends and people in your networks can see your profile," it turns out there's fifty-three thousand people in my network. Cozy!

I suppose it's just not for me. And now it doesn't seem possible to delete my account, all I can do is edit my profile. That may be very Web 2.0 ("you're connected forever!!") but it's not very customer-friendly.

No comments: